Approximately 36,540 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer of the oral cavity and pharynx in 2010. During the same time period 7,880 Americans will die of oral cancer. One of the VELscope® system’s most important tasks is to help identify areas that might, if not identified and treated, progress to oral cancer. The VELscope® system is designed to help dentist recognize oral abnormalities found on the lips, mouth, and uppper throat. In just two minutes, with no rinses, stains or discomfort, a VELscope® examination allows dentist to improve their assessment of your overall oral health.
How it Works
The VELscope® uses a safe blue light and fluorescence technology to show differences between normal and abnormal tissues in the mouth. Looking through a special lens, dentists can detect changes several cell layers deep in the early stages that frequently can not be seen by the naked eye.
Why You Should Be Screened
- Oral cancer kills one person every hour in North America
- Oral cancer has 3 times as many victims as cervical cancer
- If you are over 40, smoke and drink alcohol you are at an increased risk to develop oral cancer
- Nearly half of oral cancer patients are expected to die within 5 years because of a late diagnosis, however when detected early it is 80% to 90% survivable.
- Unfortunately, only 35% of case are diagnosed in the early stages.
At Smith & Cole Laser and Family Dentistry, we believe in providing exceptional care in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. Our doctors, Dr. Todd Smith and Dr. Michael Cole, are experts in their field and strive each day to make patients feel at ease while transforming their smiles. Our office is proud to serve patients from New Braunfels, TX as well as the surrounding areas. We offer a variety of treatment options including the LANAP Laser Treatment, Dental Implants, Sleep Apnea, TMJ, Sedation, Pediatric Dentistry, and CEREC Same Day Crowns. Call (830) 629-1954 to schedule your appointment or click here to request an appointment online!