HOURS OF OPERATION:
|Monday||8 am – 5 pm|
|Tuesday||7 am – 7 pm|
|Wednesday||8 am – 5 pm|
|Thursday||7 am – 7 pm|
|Friday||8 am – 5 pm|
Bruxism/Teeth Grinding in New Braunfels, TX
Bruxism refers to any type of forceful contact between the teeth. This can be a loud and grating contact or a silent and clenching contact. Either form can cause serious damage to the teeth. Many aren’t aware that they have the condition because they grind their teeth only in their sleep. However, bruxism can occur during waking hours as well.
Adults and children both can suffer from the condition. Alcohol, drugs, and certain sleep disorders can exacerbate the condition, making it worse. Children usually develop bruxism as a result of a cold or infection. Often pain from teething or earaches will induce bruxism in toddlers and children.
Why do I grind my teeth?
Why is bruxism bad?
Not only is bruxism bad for your teeth, it is also damaging to the jaw. Grinding can result in hearing loss, change the appearance of your face, and TMJ.
What can I do to stop grinding my teeth?
If stress is causing your bruxism, ask your doctor or dentist about stress reduction techniques and options. Exercise, stress counseling, or prescription muscle relaxers may help reduce how often or severely you grind your teeth.
Other tips to help reduce bruxism include:
- Cut back or eliminate foods that contain caffeine from your diet. This includes coffee, soda, tea, and chocolate.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol tends to increase the severity and frequency of bruxism.
- Don’t chew on anything that is not food. This includes gum, pencils, or pens. Constantly chewing conditions your jaw muscles to stay clenched and makes you more likely to grind your teeth.
- Pay attention to your mouth. If you notice that you grind or clench your teeth during the day, train yourself to relax. Position the tip of your tongue between your front teeth to make it harder to clench or grind your teeth.
- Relax your jaw before bed. Using a warm washcloth on the face at night will help relax the jaw prior to sleep. Position it on your cheek in front of your earlobe to get maximum results.
At Smith & Cole Laser and Family Dentistry, we believe in providing exceptional care in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. Our doctors, Dr. Todd Smith and Dr. Michael Cole, are experts in their field and strive each day to make patients feel at ease while transforming their smiles. Our office is proud to serve patients from New Braunfels, TX as well as the surrounding areas. We offer a variety of treatment options including the LANAP Laser Treatment, Dental Implants, Sleep Apnea, TMJ, Sedation, Pediatric Dentistry, and CEREC Same Day Crowns. Call (830) 629-1954 to schedule your appointment or click here to request an appointment online!